Oh they got a whole operation going down in here I do not expect this welcome to de nom for day two of our three-day Vietnamese Tet series made possible by one trip Ted or the Lunar New Year is the biggest celebration of the year in Vietnam bringing families together for fun relaxation and food in our last video I took part in a massive traditional Hanoi style Tet feast this time I'm with de non-local Helen Lai we're going behind the scenes for one of central Vietnam classic tent foods this video is all about buying the different awesome unique
Tet food throughout the whole country of Vietnam and right now I'm here with Helen and for you what is so special about that that is a very special time for us it's a sacred time that we spend with our families and show respect and gratitude to our ancestors it's like Christmas in the u.s. it's a family gathering time and we will eat a lot of special food only dedicated for this special occasion and different region of Vietnam we have different special food for each region so what about here in Danang
here in Ghana this one specialty that you can't find anywhere else and I will show you next and let's go there next heavenly has been making YouTube videos for years on her channel Helens recipes she's also the author of her recent book simply fought so who better to introduce me to an exclusive central Vietnamese Tet food than her right now we are headed into the place where they're making the che we're gonna see exactly how this works and how it's all done and we have to take our shoes off no shoes in the food room oh my god it's a lot of stairs oh is this it oh they got a whole operation going down in there
I did not expect this did you think there was like a whole factory like this up here they sail along today even today helen is showing me J at this local done on kitchen it looks simple enough but the process can be quite difficult especially if you don't have one of these custom meat squeezers the main spice is you know it's like a teacher but I don't meet before and don't make these away together ya know I haven't tried that in Vietnam it's sensitive subject and I left off so I don't each other oh this is about ten food and not about doctors so right now she's mixing up a big vent yeah all these different ingredients mixed with garlic and roses price the sliced pork is coming from right over here right
so this is pig ear and smelt so these are you know cheaper cuts of pork like the PPF is nose and but it looks like she's trying to cut it as thin as possible and is that to just like make it a little softer a little easier to eat yes that is a picture that you're looking for in trying out this work and frontier because of the year and this is how they make it solid yes they compress it and let the device to smaller portion then living and wrapping the banana leaf this is a giant machine just made for compressing this cake that's awesome oh it's known on behalf of like three it's like it's already cut up it's already separated into little squares on I didn't know about this yeah this is fascinating right like who built this so we've got our little squares of yeah yeah yeah can you ask him if I can get one of these on eBay eBay
yeah I don't think so no it's like brownies it's like little brownies so he's gonna peel these off and I think he's gonna do this process over and over then yeah now we're over here with the final step wrapping it in the banana leaf this obviously takes a lot of experience a lot of skill they know exactly what they're doing they put each little square into the banana leaf they kind of crisscross them they do one side to side and then one the other direction they throw a rubber band around it and bam that is ready for people to take home and eat no you need to wait for another two or three days man oh wow okay and bam wait two or three days and it'll ferment wait one when it ferments it just gets a little more sour
yeah a little bit sour J body has been famous since 1956 creating a unique taste that can't be found anywhere else aside from J they also make their own chili jelly and like us patrons get both for take-out in the center of Vietnam is really into these kind of fermented pork sour flavors because for Ted you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen cooking so we want to eat a lot of food that we can prepare beforehand yeah that's why we haven't kiln or the square cake Monday also yeah and then fermented pork so all this food can be kept for like a week or ten days there are people preparing food like one week before yeah I mean maybe more being relaxed dressed nicely and then wait for the guests to come and offer them the food and have fun together it's too late for me to dress nicely
but I am up for some relaxation and food so we're headed to Helens place where we'll finally get to try that J we have this huge amazing that spread and what you said is true it looks like all stuff that was prepared earlier yeah so today there was no actual cooking it was just prepping and cutting frying a couple things here and there but that's about it right now that we have our fermented che and chilli jelly it's time to construct the dish first removing the meat cubes adding some pickled onion chilli jelly peanuts then shredding the meat cubes adding more nuts more chili jelly and surrounding it with mint do we put it in one of these tiny bowls yeah or is this for my whisky we mix it first okay so the hers in the chili jam and because so let's just toss it yeah that's together do you work oh and you need some beer very crucial oh yeah you can't have this without beer I'm done with that also hey guys there's no beer so we're gonna drink some Remy Martin how we drinkin Remy Martin
yeah let's do it you know it's not even 11:00 a.m. there's no beer let's just start cracking down some hard alcohol I like it yeah there's beer thank you everyone will share from one cup is that part of the tradition no okay you made that up thank you let's try some of this we're gonna throw it in the bowl like guys it looks fatty porky and it's got that sour smell already that fermented sour pork smell let's try it out Cheers hmm oh I'm really good I was a little worried any time I hear the word fermented I get scared mmm mmm it's very nice everything has its purpose herbs making it really French the peanuts have a great texture in their little crunching it's just kind of a mild flavor like a little bit salty from the chili jam fatty altogether it's it's awesome
I like it I could eat a lot of that cheers to that thank you so much for introducing me to this de nom specialty my pleasure guys we have all this awesome test food which we're gonna eat on her channel so if you want to see the rest of that feast check out her channel her video to see us talk about the rest of this food here this Tet series is made possible by one trip Vietnam check back next video as I head to southern Vietnam near Saigon to enjoy Tet with a local family and make the classic Vietnamese banh Tet really beautiful so she's kind of put a heel or a cap on one end and she's gonna pack it down to make sure it's super tight that is gonna boil later on for 6 hours yes one trip is a tour company putting on tours in Saigon hoi an - Nong and many more cities to come food tours adventure tours and more riding with one trip really is the best way to experience the real Vietnam for more information on one trip check out the links in the description down below Happy New Year took Monomoy and a piece why don't you.



0 Comments